Simon Spillane / Director Communications and Public Affairs.
Europe’s food and drink trade unions and associations call on EU leaders to set up hospitality task force
Thirteen hospitality, drinks, food, and trade union representatives have jointly written to the presidents of the EU institutions calling for the immediate setting up of a hospitality recovery task force.
The impact of COVID-19 has hit livelihoods and businesses hard, throwing Europe’s restaurants, bars, hotels, cafés, pubs and nightclubs into a deep crisis, the letter says. There is a need for the EU’s policy makers, MEPs and member states to deliver a road map for recovery and, critically, predictability for reopening.
The letter recognises hope and optimism buoyed by the arrival and distribution of successful vaccines. The Brewers of Europe and its cosignatories ‘should be considered as partners for ensuring, when the epidemiological situation allows it, a well-regulated, safe and sustainable reopening’.
There are three specific asks, in addition to the overarching task force:
- Recognition of the massive and long-term impact that the COVID crisis and ongoing shutdowns have had on businesses.
- Clarity is needed as soon as possible on when and under which conditions the hospitality sector will be able to reopen.
- Dedicated financial and policy support to the hospitality value chain, addressing current, short-term and long-term needs.
Pierre-Olivier Bergeron, Secretary General of The Brewers of Europe said “The pandemic has devastated communities and taken many lives. As a brewing sector working at the heart of society, we are keen to work with the EU’s institutions at the earliest opportunity to help contribute to a successful recovery from this crisis. We need not only a dedicated task force, but support, clarity and recognition for the impact it has had on our businesses”.
This comes as last month the secretary generals of the major associations and unions issued a statement on a hospitality industry common position for the task force and COVID19.
The full letter was sent to:
- Dr Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission
- Mrs Christine Lagarde, President of the European Central Bank
- Mr Paschal Donohoe, President of the Eurogroup
- Mr Charles Michel, President of the European Council
- Mr David Sassoli, President of the European Parliament
- Mr Apostolos Tzitzikostas, President of the European Committee of the Regions
About The Brewers of Europe:
Based in Brussels, The Brewers of Europe brings together national brewers’ associations from 29 European countries and provides a voice to support the united interests of Europe’s 10,000 breweries. The Brewers of Europe promotes the positive role played by beer and the brewing sector in Europe and advocates the creation of the right conditions to allow brewers to continue to freely, cost-effectively and responsibly brew and market beer across Europe. Follow us on Twitter and visit our website.